Ergonomics with our Birmingham Chiropractor
Ergonomics— the study of a person's efficiency in the workplace—includes physical, behavioral, environmental, and psychological influences. Our chiropractor team in Birmingham AL addresses all of these issues working with patients with many different vocations.
Poor Ergonomics Can Lead to Common Injuries in the Workplace
Whether you have a physically demanding job or are primarily sitting at a desk, you may be at risk for developing a work injury, including:
- Headaches: can be caused by psychological stress as well as physical strain (e.g., poor posture in front of a computer)
- Neck pain: muscle spasms, neck stiffness, and cervical radiculopathy occur frequently at the workplace
- Shoulder and arm pain: tendonitis, rotator cuff strains, and nerve entrapment (including ulnar nerve entrapment at the elbow and median nerve entrapment at the wrist) can lead to pain, numbness, and tingling throughout one or both upper extremities
- Back pain: upper, middle and lower back pain is experienced by almost everyone at least once and can be caused by disc herniation, disc bulge, muscle spasm, joint subluxation, and "wear and tear" (e.g., arthritis)
- Foot pain: plantar fasciitis is a common work injury involving inflammation and irritation along the underside of the foot
Various factors can increase your risk for sustaining any one of these issues, including overall health status, whether you smoke or are overweight, your specific work duties, and whether you have a history of injury.
Helpful Suggestions for Improving Your Ergonomics & Your Health from Our Birmingham AL Chiropractor Staff
Work-related injuries are common but that doesn't necessarily mean they're unavoidable. Keep yourself healthy and more productive at work by following these helpful tips from our Birmingham AL chiropractor team:
- Improve desk ergonomics by keeping your computer monitor at eye level and one arm's length away. When you type, keep your wrists in a neutral position.
- Improve lifting mechanics by keeping objects close to your body and bending at the legs instead of bending and twisting at the spine. If special equipment, tools, and/or other people are available for help, use them! Know your limits.
- Get up from your desk and take a standing or walking break at least once an hour or more (hint: drinking lots water helps remind you to do this!).
- If you are experiencing a nagging ache or pain, contact Gremmels Chiropractic Center, Inc. to schedule an appointment with one of our chiropractors. We can provide you with therapeutic and preventative chiropractic care that's completely drug-free and non-invasive, including adjustments, spinal decompression, soft tissue massage, and postural analysis and re-training.
Contact Our Birmingham Chiropractor
Have you been hurt on the job or looking for ways to improve your productivity, efficiency, and safety? Contact us today by calling (205) 854-3008 and schedule your first-time consultation.